1.
the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.
2.
(sometimes initial capital letter) an organized movement for the attainment of such rights for women.
3.
feminine character.

Now I wrote this paper and got a 10/10. I was very impassioned about the pressures put on young woman about being just perfect and stick thin. It disgusts me. Now I'm not saying I don't think about my weight, because I do, but I do NOT want to be so thin I could fly away when someone blows their nose. I think about my weight, because I want to be healthy. I want to be physically fit to be able to enjoy the activities I do enjoy and not just be exhausted. (And I do NOT like being asked if I'm preggo, I enjoy my round tummy, thank you!) Now, I do feel the pressures of being "too fat", but I try and ignore them.
Now we have another Essay due and I'm drawn to write about Dove's campaign For Real Beauty. I think it's a great campaign, but I also think there are a lot of negative things going on out there about it. No, these women do not have any deformities. No these women do not represent the majority of the population, but they are beautiful. And they are "normal". They don't look like a twig. So why berate them because they still aren't "big enough" for the "average woman"? It drives me batty. Go DOVE for stepping out there. Reading their ad campaign empowers me.
(Real Women Have Curves. Firming the thighs of a size 2 supermodel is no challenge. Real Women have real bodies with real curves. And Dove wants to celebrate those curves. Join these six real women who were asked to be in our ad campaign for NEW Dove® Firming. Get to know more about them and their experiences with the campaign. Help by telling more women to stand tall and celebrate their curves.)
I like it! I have curves and I love them! I've got a big ole booty and I know it. (All those black men seem to like it too)
;)
I also like Nike's ad http://www.xihalife.com/bbs/photos/cool/4927.htm No these women are NOT out of shape, that's not what nike is about people. But they are about realistic women that are athletic. These look like the bodies of a true runner/softball/volleyball/tennis player etc. They are REALISTIC! That's the idea.
I enjoy that I'm shapely. I enjoy food! I love to eat! I have no fear going out to a restaurant and ordering the big old sloppy burger while Ernie eats the salad. I have no problem ordering cheesecake and shoveling it down. I have no problem ordering the LARGE cookie dough flurry. I eat healthy most of the time, why not splurge! I also enjoy putting on a dress and having it hug and fit instead of hanging there. (I know, I don't wear dresses, but I like to try them on.) I like NOT being able to see my collar bone clear as day. I enjoy my "thunder" thighs, because they help me run (when I get to it). I like to show off my cleavage I've earned with having 2 babies. If I didn't eat I would probably have none of the above and be bruised and purple all the time. That's so what I dream of.
I wish that society would truly get it together and realize that Hollywood is just a sick and twisted fairytale.
I think I lost the train, but you get the point. And I know all these ads came out years ago, but they still get me going.

3 comments:
Cat, SUPER POST! I love everything you said. But I'm going to add... GOD made each and everyone of us perfect and He loves our bodies! I think that's the only thing that truly set me free of the cycle of hating my body. I think if Jesus had a "type" it would be a thick girl. Yea, I just said that. I'm joking people.
Well, Cat, my proselytizing of you is nearly complete...Hee hee...
I will never discredit our Maker. He's always first.
Emily, seriously, it's scary.
Post a Comment