So being Gluten Free is a quite a challenge for me. I like to bake tons and cook with breading. Chicken Parm, you are gone but, not forgotten. One day I'll get a good bread crumb recipe or make one myself. Until than I try and come up with new dishes to satisfy myself and my little family.
We are trying to steer clear of beef so...we've been eating a LOT of chicken and some fish and pork. I was getting a little tired of lemon pepper chicken so I thought I would add some tomatoes to the chicken instead. This will serve about 4 or 5. If you wanted to go with "real" portions, maybe 6 to 8.
So I have no name for this recipe so....
Ingredients :
Olive Oil
Garlic or Garlic Powder
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cans diced tomatoes, drained (not the italian seasoned ones)
2 med onions, chopped
1 jar of Ragu roasted garlic sauce
1 package of sliced mushrooms (or you can use a can, drained)
1 package of Kraft (or store brand) shredded Taco Cheese
I started two skillets. For the directions I'll split it up and you can figure out which way you like best.
In a skillet or frying pan put about 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and heat to medium high heat. (Add more or less to your liking. ) Once oil is heated place chicken breasts in pan. Cook for about 7-8 minutes on each side, flip, and repeat until done. I like to flip frequently. When done, remove from pan and place on plate to cool so you can cut it up later. If your chicken is still a little pink in the middle, don't worry, we'll have it simmering and it will finish cooking.
In a second larger skillet (or wipe clean the first) heat olive oil to medium high heat. Place chopped onions and fresh mushrooms in pan when oil is ready. You'll want to cook the onions until they are translucent. (If you used canned mushrooms, wait)
Once onions are done place the drained tomatoes into the skillet and continue to cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes. If using canned mushrooms, add at this time also. Stir occasionally. After the 5 minutes drain off the juices. I have a handy PC drainer that works great for this process. If you don't have one, use a large plate to hold veggies in the pan as the juices drain out.
Put pan back on stove and turn heat down to low. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add garlic or garlic powder to taste at this point. After the five minutes are up, add the jar of Ragu. Continue to cook on low for 5 more minutes.
While the sauce is cooking cut up your chicken into chunks (or smaller if you'd like). Mix chicken into sauce and turn heat up to medium and cover. I cooked for about 10 more minutes this way and I stirred occasionally. If you are in a hurry, cook for 5 more minutes. If you want the flavor to soak in; after the 10 minutes turn to low and let simmer for 10 more minutes.
There are multiple ways to serve this dish.
- As it is in a dish
- Over mashed potatoes
- Over noodles as a sauce
- Wrap in a burrito
Everybody can add the amount of cheese they do or do not want on top. I recommend only using the Taco Cheese because, it has seasonings itself that adds a kick to the dish.
Give it a try and tell me what you think! And help me come up with a good name for this dish!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Mmm, I like the burrito idea. I can't believe I've never used my PC thing to drain a skillet. No wonder I didn't make it as a consultant!
Post a Comment